The Farnam Mansion (circa 1862) stands at the corner of Main and Stone Streets within the city of Oneida's Main-Broad-Grove Streets Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Constructed in the Italianate style, the mansion's exterior features a low-pitched roof, projecting eaves supported by large decorative cornice brackets, tall windows with ornate pediments, bay windows at the north and south sides of the house, a four-sided belvedere (also known as a cupola) with arched triple windows on all sides, paired front entry doors, and a wrap-around porch. The interior of the house features eleven-feet high ceilings, three fireplaces of imported Italian marble, ornate plaster ceiling medallions and crown mouldings, tall paneled oak doors, 2 sets of paneled pocket doors, a pier mirror with marble-top console, and a cut-crystal gasolier (all original to the house.) On the second floor are four bedrooms, a small library, nursery, and servant's quarters.
The original owner of the mansion was Stephen Head Farnam, after whom the house was named. In addition to being a successful hardware store owner and president of the National State Bank, Mr. Farnam was also the proprietor of the Little Falls Axe Factory, the president of the Glenwood Cemetery Association, and one of the organizers and first directors of the Oneida Gas Light Company. He died at home on November 17, 1897 after suffering a stroke. His obituary described him as "a well-known and highly esteemed citizen and merchant" of Oneida, and also "a self-made man and the architect of his own fortunes."
302 Main Street
Oneida, New York 13421
Guided tours and paranormal investigations of the mansion are available upon request. Please call or email us for more information.